Underarm hair removal has become mandatory for women in the modern society. Many men have also accepted the idea and try out all sorts of methods to ensure a clean, hair-free armpit. This article discusses underarm hair removal in depth including its history, reasons for underarm hair removal and various hair removal methods that are currently being used to achieve a smooth, hair-free armpit.
History behind underarm hair removal
Though the practice of removing hairs on the underarms has become prevalent only recently, it appears that even thousands of years ago people hated the presence of hair on their underarm. It is believed that Prophet Muhammad (570-632) made underarm hair removal a requirement for Muslim men and women for hygiene reasons. Because of this, Muslims practice underarm hair removal on a regular basis. In the western countries, the custom of underarm hair removal arrived in the early 20th century. Around 1915, popular lifestyle magazines in the US and the UK started displaying picture of a woman with shaved underarms. The idea gradually seeped into the minds of people. Easy availability of safety razors at that time made it feasible to shave underarm hair. The custom of shaving underarm hair gradually became a norm in the US and Canada, however Europe did not adopt this tradition until well after World War II.
Reasons for removing underarm hair
Removal of underarm hair is considered essential in the modern society. This section lists down various reasons for removing underarm hairs:
– Hygiene – This is one of the primary reasons for removing underarm hair. There is excessive amount of sweating in the armpit region, the hair gets wet and stays wet longer. As a result, the hair becomes odorous. This makes a person feel uncomfortable. If the odour is strong, others may also feel uncomfortable and may stay away from a person. Removal of underarm hair makes a person feel cleaner, smell better and pleasing to others.
– Aesthetic – Pictures of models with shaved underarms in the media has made people associate clean hair-free armpits with aesthetics. Today, a well-shaven armpit is considered more aesthetic and sexually attractive.
– Religious – Muslims men and women consider it obligatory to remove underarm hair as the practice was advocated by Prophet Muhammad for hygiene reasons.
– Professional – In certain professions, removal of all body hair is considered necessary. Swimmers and athletes for instance removal remove all body hair, including those on their underarms to make their bodies more streamlined. Similarly, body builders as well those who work for adult entertainment industry remove their unwanted hair for professional reasons.
Popular methods for removing these unwanted hair
Various hair removal methods are used for removing these hairs. Here we shall discuss few popular ones:
– Shaving– This is one of the most commonly used methods of removing hair. This method is relatively painless, affordable and convenient. However, the biggest drawback of shaving is that it needs to be repeated quite frequently. Besides, the new hair that comes is thicker, darker and coarser.
– Waxing – Even though it is painful, waxing is a popular method of removing unwanted hair. As the skin on your armpit is sensitive, it is advisable to take help of a professional. Results last for 4-6 weeks.
– Depilatories – Use of depilatories for removing these hairs is quite popular. People favor this method as it can be used at home, is painless and affordable. However, this method offers only short-term results besides some people may suffer from skin irritations as the depilatories are mostly chemical based.
– Electrolysis – This is a permanent method of Hair Removal. You can use this method if you wish to get rid of these unwanted hair permanently. Drawbacks of this method are that it requires several sessions, needs to be conducted under expert care and is painful and expensive.
– Laser – This is one of the most advanced methods of Hair Removal that is widely practiced for removing these hairs. Laser treatment can help you get rid of these hair for several months and even years. This method is not as painful but it is expensive. It requires several sessions and needs to be conducted by a professional with care.