Operating nebulizer equipment does not require special skills, but adequate knowledge about a few things is important for proper handling of the device.
The nebulizer equipment, or the nebulizer delivery system consists the following –
– a nebulizer – it is a small plastic bowl with a screw-top lid
– a source for compressed air.
The airflow to the nebulizer changes the liquid medication to a breathable vapor, which when inhaled correctly, has better chances of reaching the small airways and increases its effectiveness.
In this section, we will show you how to assemble the nebulizer equipment and use it most effectively on the patient.
– Keep the compressor near a power source, where you can reach the ON/OFF switch easily
– Remember to clean your hands before preparing for each treatment.
– Always use a clean nebulizer.
– Take correct doses of the liquid solutions as prescribed by the doctor and add these to the nebulizer.
– Now connect the air tubing from the compressor to the nebulizer base. You may also attach a finger valve between the nebulizer base and tubing but make sure all the connections are snug.
– The next step is to attach a mouthpiece to the nebulizer.
– Finally, turn on the compressor and check the nebulizer for misting. If you are using a finger valve, remember to cover the air hole to force the air to the nebulizer.
In the following section, we will discuss about how to operate nebulizer equipment.
Air Compressor – Plug the air compressor into a grounded outlet and place on a hard, flat surface.
Filters – All nebulizer equipment disposable or washable filters. Wash and replace these filters every month or whenever needed. You have to simply run it under water and dry it properly. For disposable filters, you just have to replace them with clean ones.
Cleaning – The external part of the compressor can be cleaned with a damp cloth but you should never submerge compressor in liquid. When your compressor does not operate, try plugging it to some other electric point or outlet.
You should keep a spare asthma nebulizer kit readily available at all times. This way you will never fall in trouble if one of the nebulizer equipment fails to work properly. Also it is very important to remember to open the straps from the masks for two year olds.
You can clean the kit daily by disassembling, washing in soap water, and rinsing thoroughly. Allow it to dry on a paper towel or clean cloth. You can also use a disinfectant to clean your asthma nebulizer equipment.